About the Book Power Source Parenting
Power Source Parenting: Growing Up Strong and Raising Healthy Kids is a practical, accessible, and innovative book/curriculum written for at-risk teen and young adult parents and the professionals who support them. It can be can be read by young parents on their own, or the concepts, exercises, and numerous firsthand stories by young parents can be introduced and explored in facilitated parenting groups or during individual home visits or counseling sessions.
Lionheart is committed to securing a loving start for children at risk and has donated 18,000 free copies of the book to more than 7,000 programs nationwide.
Among the topics included are:
- Creating a healthy attachment to one’s child
- Coping with the stress of parenting in adaptive ways
- Implementing positive discipline practices
- Managing three generational living
- Establishing healthy relationships with partners
- Breaking cycles of domestic violence
- Bringing greater awareness to patterns of high-risk behavior and its effects on one’s children
- A section for young fathers that addresses becoming a father in the wake of a fatherless upbringing and helping young fathers identify possible contributions not contingent upon finances.
“I am very impressed with how genuine this book is. It is difficult to find reading material that connects with youth. Either the author tries too hard to connect making the book disingenuous. Or they alienate the young reader with a writing style they cannot relate to. Thank you for supporting us with this book that gets to the heart and soul of being a young parent in these times.” TEENWORKS TEACHER, CROSSROADS PREGNANCY RESOURCE CENTER
Bethany Casarjian, Ph.D., Clinical Director of Lionheart’s youth project, is the author of Power Source Parenting and the Power Source Parenting Facilitator’a Manual. A Power Source Parenting Video Series will be available in the future.